Monday, February 4, 2013

Makeover Monday- Accent Walls and Track Lighting


I really love a lot of things about our Condo. I love that we are .2 miles from Target, Kohls, Joann Fabrics; .4 miles from Walmart, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and the Cal Train station. I love that everyone in our building is 50+ and most have lived here since these units were built in 1970. I like that it's quiet, except for at 7:59 on Monday morning when the dump trucks come for 15 minutes to get trash and recycling. And I love that it's less than 10 minutes away from Google so Peter can be home as soon as he is done working. 

The one thing I don't love is how our landlord had an obsession with painting accent walls and track lighting. The track lighting isn't that bad, always an interesting conversation starter but the accent walls were a little over the top! When we moved in we had an accent wall in every room. I don't quite understand the point of accent walls. It looks like you just couldn't commit to the color so you just decided to paint one wall to see how it goes. Now accent walls that are a shade lighter or brighter than the rest of the room create nice depth but when the whole room is cream and you have a random sienna/brick red wall it looks super dumb. That's what we were dealing with... 

The guest room was taken care of quickly with 4 coats of pink paint on the lovely sage green accent wall and 1 coat of pink paint everywhere else for Ava's room. Peter truly enjoyed painting that one wall 4 times... just ask him about it ;) 


The dining room I actually kinda liked. There was a nice greyish wall that we were able to hang a cool metal candle holder on. Love that track lighting. 


But the bedroom... brick/sienna red surronded by cream... AHHHH 1996 called and they want their paint color back! 


For a month I tried to convince Peter we needed to paint it but he was a little worn out after the 2 days it took him to paint Ava's room so I decided that I could make this horrible color work. We had this set of 6 pictures in our dining room in our old house and I noticed the horrible red color was actually in some of the images. With my Mom's help ( I was 7 months pregnant when I decided to finish the room.... extreme nesting moment) we hung 3 on the accent wall and 2 on the other wall. Framed the room with some cool lamps and hung a big mirror over the dresser. We got some neutral curtains to pull everything together. 





It's not my favorite color but at least it looks a little more like home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment