Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I haven't showered in 3 days and I smell like rotten milk


Whoever said having 2 kids is like having 10 was right! Whew! Someone ALWAYS needs you, someone is always upset, someone is always hungry. I am finally coming out of the dark side and see the light at the end of the tunnel! Alice is finally sleeping all night, 7pm to 7am woooo hooo, and let me tell you that makes everything so much better. We have finally gotten into a bit of a routine but there is never a dull moment with 2 kiddos!

These are the 10 things I learned over the past 15 weeks.

1. Get out every day! Ava needs LOTS of play time and loves parks and playing with her buddies. I try to get out to a park or even just to Target every day of the week. I find Alice naps better if we are out and about and Ava stays busy.

2. Forget about day time showers. Most weeks I am apologizing to my other Mommy friends about my appearance. I am a Southern girl and normally have a very put together ensemble, with matching jewelry, and my hair done. Most weeks I do not get to shower in the day unless Peter is home so pony tails and dirty hair are my new look.

3. Communicate with your Spouse on what you need. We have 0 family around and having 2 kids is super hard. I can't just drop Ava off at my Sister's house so I can go to a Dr's apt or have my Mom come over because I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before. We are here alone and have to relay on each other for help. My wonderful husband goes into work at 6:30am so that he can come home and help from 4pm-7pm and then does more work from home.

4. Forget working out. Sorry baby weight but you're going to have to stick around a little longer. I don't have time to shower= I really don't have time to work out. I may have 45 min when both girls are sleeping in the day. You better believe that means I am trying to nap too!

5. Get alone time with each kiddo. The days can be crazy and long but it's important each kiddo gets some alone time. I normally play with Alice the first half of Ava's nap. Then when Ava gets up from her nap I try to get in some snuggle time with her. I find Ava behaves much better when she gets enough 1 on 1 time with me.

6. Wine! A lovely glass of red wine after the kids go to bed really really helps!

7. Have good girl friends. There are many days I send a text to one of my friends saying please meet me for lunch or I need to get out lets meet at a park. Adult interaction is key to getting through the day.

8. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your kid just threw a tantrum in the middle of Target and the other kid just spit up all down the front of your shirt? No problem... buy a new shirt, give your toddler some goldfish and enjoy the rest of your Target experience.

9. Don't try to cook dinner every night, especially before your husband gets home to help with the kids. I tried to do this and let me tell you it was a disaster. For the first couple of weeks do not attempt to do anything other than keeping both kids alive and keeping your self sane.

10.  Find a babysitter! I am a firm believer in date nights. Before you were a Mom you were a Wife and it's important you give as much to that relationship as you do to your adorable little kiddos.

If you are expecting your second or just had him/her hang in there! It gets better! These girls make my heart so happy and make me laugh every day. Take deep breaths, get out of the house, and try to focus on the fun stuff!


Oh and make sure there is always wine... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment