Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eat, Sleep, Poop and Spit Up... Ava's first homemade Valentines


Valentine's Day has been my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE holiday since I was a little girl! Every year my Dad would get my sister and I yellow roses and my Mom red ones along with some sort of special present. He taught us the day is about showing family and friends that you value and care for them. Every year I would make special valentines for all my friends and wear as much red, pink, sparkles and hearts as possible.

This year is Ava's first Valentine's day and I wanted to make sure it was SUPER special. So I decided Ava would give all of her baby friends custom burp cloths... because what do babies love to do besides sleep and poop? Eat and spit up!

Here is a step by step on how to make these super easy and super cute burp cloths.

You will need
1. Chenille or terry cloth fabric (at least 1 yard)
2. Nursery flannel fabric (I like to use this fabric because it is soft and absorbs better) 
3. Matching Thread


**** Prior to any sewing pre-wash all fabric. The different fabrics will shrink differently in the first wash and you want to make sure that they don't warp and twist because of uneven shrinkage. 

1. Cut 1 piece of fabric 14in x 9in ( I like burp cloths a little bigger so they cover the entire shoulder)


2. Lay the piece of fabric on top of the remaining fabric and continue to cut 14in x 9in rectangles


3. After all pieces are cut place 1 piece of chenille or terry cloth and 1 piece of the patterned flannel right sides together


4. Sew around the edges at 1/3 or 1/4 of an inch. Leave a 3 inch space open on the last side.


5. Clip the fabric on all corners and then pull the right sides of the fabric through your 3" hole and put your fingers in each corner to pop them out. 


6. Flip the seam allowance in on the 3" slit and stitch on top to finish the rectangle. 


7. You will then want to press the fabric to create crisp seams.


Now you have some awesome homemade burp cloths! If you are making them for gifts I recommend you roll them and wrap with a special ribbon. 


Happy Valentine's Day from Ava Ray!!! 
XOXOXO


Now get out there and tell your family and friends that you LOVE them!! 










No comments:

Post a Comment