Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fashion Friday- What's a monogram?!


There are several things I like about living in California...  It's between 65-78 degrees 11 months of the year, it only rains 10 days a year, there are 1 million donut shops that sell awesome cake donuts, the fact that Peter works at Google and has awesome an awesome job, free food and amazing benfits and a flexbile schedule, that Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Starbucks, Wal-Mart, Carters, Khols, and several other shopping stores are less than .4 miles away from our home... these are all things I love. But there are also many things I miss about living in the "South." Obviously number 1 would be my family and Peter's family living close by, then biscuits (bojangles in particular), then there is "Southern hospitality" (I mean would it kill you to open the door for the lady with the storller, or make eye contact when I walk past you? Or say that my baby is cute because I know she is smiling at you and you really can't resist those happy eyes!?!?), and then there are monograms. I love that in the "South" people mongram EVERYTHING! You have monogramed towels in the guest bathroom, monogrammed pillows in the master bedroom, monogrammed cheese trays for parties, monogrammed soup dispensers in the kitchen, monogrammed aprons, monogrammed phone cases, monogrammed baby blankets, monogrammed croakies (if you don't know what this is you are NOT from the south), monogrammed button up shirts, monogrammed cashmere sweaters... basically if you can wear it or display it it is monogrammed.

I bought Ava this super cute swiss dot romper that I wanted to have her wear for our Mother's Day church dedication (side note she will not be wearing it this Sunday because my little Princess is very petite and it is still too big even though I took it in... what can I say she is short like her Momma).


Anyways, I looked online to see what local monogramming shops were around. There were NONE! There are no kiosks in the malll, shops on the corner, no tailor shops monogram... nothing! So I posted on Facebook and a friend of mine told me Lids, the hat store in the mall, does custom embroidery  I was also told Thing Remembered does as well but when I called they clearly do no custom embroidery in at this location since there is "no demand." So off to Lids we go. I should have known that a hat shop that has catchy rap phrase hat embroidery displayed all around the shop such as "Mo money mo problems" and "Make it Rain" would not be my type of monogram location. However, this was my only shot an making this adorable swiss dot romper so much cuter with my sweet girls initials.

So here is the short version. We walk in and I say " I would like to monogram this romper." Her response "What's a romper and WHAT IS A MONOGRAM?!" I started in utter disbelief  Then I took out the romper and said "A monogram is someone's initials." She then said "Why would you need that on a piece of clothing? Are you going to forget their name?!" Now I am all fired up but clearly she is not "Southern" and I have Ava with me so I keep my composure and smile (Bless her heart... :-) ) and just say alright do you have any hot pink thread to match these bows?! Next she proceeds to show me that she will do the "monogram" in the middle/bottom of the romper because it will be easier. I politely veto the idea and tell her it should be top middle. I then explain that the middle letter needs to be bigger than the first and middle initial. She says she understands and we leave for 20 minutes while she works her magic.

I should have stayed... I knew I should have stayed and babysat the entire production. But she is a professional... right? Clearly not because this is what I came back to.


Yes those are periods between the letters! My question is while creating a hat slogan DO YOU REALLY USE PERIODS?!?! Why do they even have them?! She did not understand the issue or the horror on my face and I knew I would not win.  She had no clue what was wrong with the job.

After an hour of extreme anger and utter disbelief I decided to let it go. I would order something new on Etsy and it would be fine. Then later that day I remembered I had a little friend named "seam ripper" and possibly he could salvage this horrible catastrophe. An hour later of very very careful seam ripping I was able to remove all the periods and brush down the fabric. It is still spaced wonky and looks a bit odd but once my sweet Princess is a little taller she will be styling and super "Southern" with her first monogrammed outfit!


No comments:

Post a Comment